Today I’m writing about a genius theory I discovered in a magazine last month. According to designer Michael Kors, we should all be following the 70/30 “meat and potatoes” rule.
He is not referring to what’s on your plate, rather what’s in your wardrobe.
Now, bear with us here because this is rather good!
He suggests that 70 percent of the clothes you own should be meat and potatoes. And 30 percent should be icing and fluff— that’s colour, pattern and accessories or ‘fun stuff’.
So, 70 percent of your wardrobe should be staple pieces and basics and the remaining 30 percent should contain those pieces that make your style YOU. And this will be different for everyone, based on your particular style.
I really like this theory and I’ve been showing my clients how to do this for themselves for years.
When you get this right you will have enough pieces to create the outfits you want to wear.
Let me explain.
I have had my head and arms inside many a wardrobe. I’ve actually lost track. What I’ve noticed time and time again is that many women have ‘too much fluff’ and not enough substance.
Often the ladies I work with tell me they are forever shopping and bringing beautiful colours, prints and shapes into their lives but they still feel they have nothing to wear. They love the pieces but they barely get worn because they never seem quite right or appropriate.
What they don’t know (until I point it out), is that there is no substance. They are missing the basics. And it’s the basics that allow the fancier stuff (or the fluff) to take centre stage without knocking you out. I wrote a blog about the importance of basics a while ago. You can read that here.
Below I have outlined some examples of good meat and veg pieces as well as what constitutes ‘fluff’.
Please note that the specifics of what constitutes the right kind of meat and veg and fluff depends on your style rules as well as your lifestyle, but this is a good starting point to get you thinking.
Meat & Veg
These are your wardrobe staples. They are usually neutral in colour, plain fabrics and classic shapes. (Btw, if your style is very dramatic and quirky this theory doesn’t apply! The more fluff the better!)
- Great jeans
- Well-fitting trousers
- Skirts (This is the item that I most often tell women they can live without but for some women they are an integral part of the wardrobe. It’s a body shape and a style issue.
- A simple dress
- Good quality plain t-shirts, long and short sleeved
- Simple blouses/shirts (neutral colours, no print)
- A good jacket or blazer (if appropriate to your lifestyle)
- Dark coloured footwear
- Light coloured footwear
- A neutral coloured coat
You need this to bring your meat and veg to life. Your clothing style will determine the kind of ‘fluff’ that you need but use this list as inspiration.
- Coloured and patterned shirts, blouses tops
- Unusual fabrics or trims
- Unusual cuts
- Statement, sparkly or unusual jewellery
- Statement footwear (coloured, textured, unusual style)
- Statement handbag (coloured, textured, unusual style)
- Patterned or textured scarves
- A statement coat
If you love shopping and do it often, yet still feel as though you have nothing to wear, check your meat & veg to fluff ratio. A few plain tops might be all you need to create very many fabulous outfits!
Leave me a comment, what’s your current ratio?
Did you enjoy reading this? Then let's keep in touch!
I send out my popular Style Notes newsletter once a fortnight - it's full of my favourite tried and tested style tips to help you shine and feel at your best. Because it's not about what clothes you wear, it's about how they make you feel - and I believe every woman deserves to feel her very best, every day! Sign up below to join my mailing list - and you'll receive the next issue direct to your inbox.
Thank you Helen, very timely reminder, I was trying on ‘fluff’ category tops yesterday – long patterned blouses and actually I think it’s more ‘core’ tops that I need to replace/update worn ones.
Interesting article Helen. I am vegetarian!
Maybe I should have added in nuts and pulses instead?!
Really useful blog Helen, thank you. I’m about to embark on sorting my wardrobe out tomorrow – every Weds in Nov is the plan – so this is very timely for me!
That sounds very organised Candice! Well done for making the commitment!