Recently, I was working with a new client on her wardrobe and I was admiring her wonderful array of dresses.
We were having a giggle at how different they were in style. Some were elegant, pretty dresses and others were ‘va va voom’ dresses which we decided were not to be worn before date number 3!
It dawned on me that many of my clients are single in their 40’s and 50’s and are either dating, or starting to feel ready to meet someone. Dressing for a date must be one of the hardest outfits to pull together if you are unsure of your style. Whether you are dressing for a date night with your man or you are going on a first, second or third date with a new(ish) man, what to wear can be a cause of unnecessary overwhelm.
You want to look knockout. You want to feel great. You want to create the ‘right’ impression. I’ll also wager that you want to feel comfortable. You are no longer prepared to hold your tummy in all night and squeeze your toes into hellish shoes.
So, today, I’m bringing you a selection of outfit ideas for inspiration. No washboard abs needed.
Obviously, the venue of the date will dictate smartness levels of your outfit but I’m imagining you are going to a nice restaurant for dinner and drinks with my selection.
1. Polka dot is THE print of the season. It works best for those who suit a ‘girly’, feminine style and this wrap dress is great for highlighting a smaller waist without being too figure hugging. Also, I love that it is navy and ivory not black and white. Much more summer appropriate.
2. If your style is more natural and you don’t suit ‘fuss’, you could try this versatile number. It’s linen, so will keep you cool if you feel a bit nervous (sweaty!) and as a ‘natural’ you won’t mind the inevitable creasing. Tie the belt around the back if you don’t want to draw attention to your middle.
3. This striped print dress (another big trend this season) will make you look longer and leaner with the vertical stripe creating the illusion of length.
4. This floral print is pretty without being ‘fussy’. It’s a great length and the cap sleeve makes it feel demure, even with exposed arms.
5. I adore this oriental print, great if you like something a bit different. This colour palette is great for summers and autumns alike.
6. And for a dress with summer written all over it, how about this stunning poppy print number? Add a white shoe and clutch and you will wow your lucky date!
Which of these dresses appeals the most to you? Let me know why in the comments below.
Related post: My do’s and don’ts for hot date dressing
Did you enjoy reading this? Then let's keep in touch!
I send out my popular Style Notes newsletter once a fortnight - it's full of my favourite tried and tested style tips to help you shine and feel at your best. Because it's not about what clothes you wear, it's about how they make you feel - and I believe every woman deserves to feel her very best, every day! Sign up below to join my mailing list - and you'll receive the next issue direct to your inbox.